Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Sections

First Impressions of Parrot Flower-Power

First Impressions of Parrot Flower-Power

Flower Power Packaging

Parrot Flower Power

The product is down to $60 from last year’s $80. That is an improvement but still not impulse buy territory and not anywhere near what someone would want to spend for each plant.

When it arrived, I was stunned by the size of the packaging. The device is larger than one would expect and the packaging is huge and off putting. I don't have a photo of it but they put the sensor in a cardboard flower pot inside the clear packaging so it is like buying a 'flower.' This 'flower pot' makes the size of the packaging much larger than the sensor.

Flower Power Sensor
Flower Power sensor circuit board.

I bought two sensors at once and discovered pairing is not fun. At first I put the batteries in both devices then started the software to do the pairing. The software showed both devices available each identified with a cryptic number such as 'A687'. I examined each sensor to see if there was a corresponding number amongst all of the numbers and there was none. There are a plethora of numbers on the exposed circuit board but none matching the numbers displayed by the app. I then looked for an RSSI indication to allow me to figure out which was which.

App Sensor Page
Shows the Application page with the sensor list. Note the cryptic sensor identification number and not the plant name are most prominent.

Finally I gave up and pulled the battery from one and paired the other. I can definitely see pairing being an issue when someone has many of these sensors and doesn't want to have to keep pulling batteries to determine which is which. There needs to be: RSSI display, a filter for paired vs unpaired sensors, some way to match BLE characteristic with a physical characteristic of a sensor such as serial number (even if this is done manually by the user).

No Analysis Plant
No Analysis

I have had both plants I decided to monitor for years. Unfortunately, I don't know their species or genus. Without this information, the app gives no 'Analysis' meaning it won't tell you when to water the plant. It seems there should be some generic default plant analysis settings with reasonable water and light requirements. Perhaps even a setting based on hardiness region.

When installing the sensor in the dirt, it is clear from both the directions and the design of the sensor that the white'ish dome is a light sensor and should be placed where it can sense the most light and not under a big leaf.
App Home Page
AKA 'My Garden'. The plant Drago needs water but there is no indication of the alert on the 'My Garden' page. The user needs to either go to the plant page or the separate alerts page. The alerts page tab does show an alert badge at the bottom of the screen not seen in this screenshot.

As for the iOS app. It leaves much to be desired. It is confusing, circuitous and gives too many ways to do the same thing. One of many possible examples, is it does not give the plant status on the plant summary page. Based on my first hand experience with the Flower Power app, I think we are definitely going in the right direction with the Daisy App. 

Add comment

You can add a comment by filling out the form below. Plain text formatting. Comments are moderated.